Press and Public Relations – Successful Communication
Communication is the key to effective press and public relations work for an association or center. In today’s age of social media, such as Facebook and Twitter, communication has become easier, yet many centers and associations struggle to present themselves positively in the public eye.
From developing a logo, designing information materials and flyers, creating a corporate design, establishing a website, to regular reports in local media such as newspapers and local stations, there are many things that an association can do to improve their public relations and should do.
However, some members and board members of associations are hesitant due to the perceived financial expense and associated workload, and may view advertising and marketing within the association as unnecessary. But as Henry Ford once said, “Those who stop advertising to save money can also stop their watch to save time.” or “When a duck lays an egg, it does so quietly and secluded in a bush. However, when a chicken lays an egg, it cackles loudly and flaps around. And the success? The whole world eats chicken eggs!”
Marketing is often associated with business strategies aimed at attracting and retaining customers, dealing with target groups, products, advertising, and sales. While non-profit organizations have different goals, marketing can still be a beneficial strategy for clubs. Non-profit status does not protect against competition, and through targeted marketing and communication efforts, an association can improve its image, increase awareness, and find potential sponsors.
Here are some helpful tips for successful marketing and public relations for associations:
- Develop a clear logo and corporate design for your association.
- Design informative and visually appealing information materials and flyers.
- Establish a website to showcase your association’s activities and engage with the public.
- Regularly communicate with local media to share news and updates about your association.
- Don’t shy away from advertising and marketing efforts due to perceived expenses – they can be crucial for success.
- Use social media platforms such as Facebook and Twitter to your advantage in communicating with your target audience.
- Be proactive in promoting your association’s image and raising awareness about your cause.
- Consider seeking potential sponsors through targeted marketing and communication efforts.
- Don’t underestimate the importance of effective communication and marketing in achieving your association’s goals.